Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Finding Support with Coaching For Geeks



I knew earlier this year that I wanted to do something about my diet, so that I could lose weight and maybe be healthier (or some such nonsense). I also knew that I wouldn’t be successful if I just relied on me. 

I get super sidetracked sometimes. 

Also, I thought it would be clever to work with actual doctors or something. People who specialize in Weight loss and nutrition. So I totally linked up with some people who do that professionally. It was a pretty smart move, actually.

But that’s not actually what I want to talk about. 

So, in the midst of connecting with the professionals, I stumbled upon a Facebook group. 

Truthfully, it started as a thing on Twitter. Some group liked me, so then I liked them and then this guy Robin sent me a message on Twitter about his Facebook group. This “Robin guy” said they helped with “confidence, dating, health, careers, fitness, and image.” I figured it was worth a shot. What could I lose? The worst thing that would happen is I like.. unjoined the group if I hated it.  

I KNOW! I’m not supposed to talk to strangers! But that’s PRETTY MUCH what Twitter is. 

So yeah, I joined this Facebook group called Coaching for Geeks. 

It was a good choice for me because I mean, I’m pretty geeky. I like geeky things like video games, comic books, and D&D. I have a few fandoms that I follow (Doctor Who, Shadowhunters, Marvel movies and TV shows). 

My Office is a TARDIS for cripes sake!

Yeah, I said cripes sake. 

It also has become a great source of support for me. I post my weekly goals to the site every Monday. In fact, one time Robin didn’t post the thread for the Monday goals, so I just posted mine anyway.
Oh yeah, and Robin is the one who forced my hand into making better goals. 

If I need help or support, I can ask the group for advice. Or maybe just ask people to post a bunch of memes or gifs to make me happy. 

Yeah, I know. It’s not obvious that I pretty much love memes and gifs.

I’ve been able to network with a number of other people who have similar interests as I do, which is nice. I found some fun eye shadow and made a came up with a sweet sweet Halloween costume because of people I met via Coaching for Geeks. 

The 30 Day #LevelUp Challenge was also a Coaching for Geeks activity. There are even prizes!
Who doesn’t like prizes?

The thing I like most about this groups is that unlike other groups – even this real life wellness group I’m in – this group has the potential to grow with me. Once I am in a place where I don’t have to be hyper-vigilant about fitness, I’ll find a new thing to develop about myself. My Coaching for Geeks friends will still be there. 

Unless Robin shuts us down. 

I mean, right now that’s pretty possible because he just got like… sucked into the mainframe or something and evil Nega-Robin has taken over. 

LOOK! Stop trying to understand Geek stuff.

Okay, so I have a real point. 

The thing is, you might think – Coaching for Geeks sounds silly. That doesn’t suit me at all. Why do I care?

You don’t have to like my geeky group. 

The take away is -- Go find your own group!
Find that group of people who support you for who and what you are.
Who have similar interests and can relate to the struggles you are having.

And I mean, hey – if you are kind geeky, you could join Coaching for Geeks.
But make sure to say Sarah sent you, because I don’t know if we still do, but we used to get stickers on a sticker chart for stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiccups and Derailments

You might think that everything is easy for me. I mean, this whole weight loss adventure is just all peaches and cherry blossoms. Nothing ...